Staying healthy one pot of soup at a time!
The ingredients in this soup are punched up for the medicinal effects during this time where we are all scrambling to boost our immune systems. I doubled the garlic, celery, carrots and Spices. This soup is forgiving and can be tweaked to your liking but I suggest capitalizing off of this one pot, blended powerhouse.
Not Your Average Split Pea Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bulb of garlic peeled
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 stalks of scallion sliced
- 4 stalks of celery diced
- 4 carrots washed ends trimmed and sliced
- 2 big thumb sized pieces of ginger washed and diced Skin on is fine
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 2 cups dried split pea
- 6 cups of chicken broth, stock or water
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon for extra flavor Optional
- In a large pot add the olive oil over Medium heat, next add all vegetables and a pinch of salt, stirring frequently, allowing the vegetable to sweat until soft. Next add the bay leaf, turmeric, cumin coriander and stir allowing spices to toast for a minute or two.
- Next, add the split peas, stir and toast the peas in the pot with the rest of the ingredients for two to three minutes.
- Pour the broth, stock or water in the pot and stir, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn the heat down to a soft boil and cook until peas are soft. This should take an hour.
- Once the peas are soft, using your immersion blender, blend the soup to the desired consistency.
- If you’re using a stand up blender, ladle soup into the blender but do not fill to the top, cover with lid and hold the lid down with a kitchen towel. Blend on the lowest setting to start. *Remember hot soups expand in the blender and will end up all over your kitchen if you’re not extremely careful this is the reason I prefer an immersion blender. Return the soup to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and bouillon if desired for extra chicken flavor. Stir in the butter and allow to melt.